What Is Unlocking?
Unlocking pertains to GSM phones.
Unlocking enables you to ... cut all ties to your initial mobile network provider without replacing your mobile phone.
When you purchase a mobile phone either on pay-as-you-go or a contract, the network carrier includes a SIM, a chip in your handset, containing a serial number that identifies you to the network provider.
Most network carriers "lock" your phone so it works only with their specific SIM card, a chip in your handset, containing a serial number that identifies you to the network provider. The only reason to lock the SIM is to ensure you use their service for an extended period of time. If you attempt to use an alternative SIM card in a locked phone, you will receive error messages, such as “SIM Card Not Accepted.”
Unlocking enables you to ... use any SIM card on any network in your handset.
There are two primary methods for mobile phone unlocking. The method used to unlock a handset depends largely on the manufacturer, as well as the carrier.
Code Unlocking: The easiest method of unlocking a handset is by code unlocking. This requires a number of details about the handset, including:
- IMEI for the phone
- Handset model
These details are used by us to generate the unlock code for your handst, which is sent to you via email along with instructions on how to use it. Once keyed into your phone, any existing restrictions are removed.
Cable Unlocking: This method includes using a USB cable, your PC and our unlocking software. The unlocking software performs one of two processes depending on the handset.
- Partial flashing process: Our software patches a small fragment of the phone's software to open the 'locks'. Often this is as simple as changing one number.
- Code reading process: Our software accesses your phone's internal hardware, locates the unlock code stored on the handset and displays it on your PC screen for you to enter into the handset yourself.
Don't worry, nothing about your IMEI is altered nor is any additional information written to the phone.
There are many benefits to unlocking your handset, including:
- Ability to use any SIM card on any network
- Ability to take advantage of roaming services offered by most major networks
- Possibility of dual, tri or even quad band functions allowing you to use your phone in even more countries around the globe.
- Is there any risk? Your handset is at no risk
- Is unlocking legal? Mobile phone unlocking is perfectly legal if you own your handset. Cell phone carriers and network providers are required to supply unlock codes.